Monday, August 9, 2010

church camp and faith

I found a bunch of old church amp stuff today.  Old addresses and camp awards and little messages we wrote to each other at the end of camp like you do with your yearbooks.
It brings back such good memories of a special time in my life.
I don't remember all the details but evidently back then I said the right things and I could talk church with the best of them at camp.
It feels good to read all those old comments from names and faces that seem to swim through my mind like a puff of smoke; a wisp and a shadow.

I think the greatest thing in some ways though is that I look back at my life back then and for as much faith as I had back then, it is nothing compared to what I have now.
I am not going to say that my faith hasn't been like a rollercoaster at times.  I have had ups and downs and there have been good times in my life and bad just like everyone else has.
The best news is that what I relied on God for back then was small stuff.  What I rely on God for now and have faith about is so much greater.
I don't mean to belittle what I thought before because I firmly believe that the problems of people are equal in many ways to God or anyone that loves us.
You don't stop caring for a person because they have a worry that you consider less important.  And that is the best part of it.

I feel more important is that not only do I give the small things to God but I also give the biggest things in my life to Him now.  God has consumed my trust and my belief and I know that no matter what is going on that He loves me and cares for me and that He will watch out for me in the long run even if life isn't always the easiest here on earth.

That is what faith is to me.  It is easy to have faith when life is good, but harder to have faith when life is rough.  But faith by definition is that belief no matter what the circumstances to me.  And I have given all of my life to God and my faith has consumed me in that way.

I look back with fond memories of camp and I know that those people would be so happy for me that my faith has grown with my age and that I continue to let God lead my life.  And for those that have followed the same path I am happy for them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment